Ad here

Apple ][ ProDOS ROM Drive

CyberBob

Simple SSD for Apple ][. If you have an EPROM programmer, then you can make your own. I have the v2.5 version of this. https://github.com/tjboldt/ProDOS-ROM-Drive

This thread moved from Slack, so ignore post dates.
20221012_233047.jpg
download.png

Attachments

• firmware.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

CyberBob

Just ordered 10 of the blank boards for $5, $16 delivered. Will offer 5 to any members that want to build one for $15 each, which is roughly the cost of the components. I just ordered the following parts (+ sockets):
  1. 27C080/27C801 x1
  2. 74LS374 x2
  3. 74LS245 x3
  4. 74LS32 x1
  5. 74LS00 x1
  6. .1uf x8

CyberBob

Just sourced the parts through Mouser. $25.50/board with sockets, $22.63 without. HUGE lead time on half the parts (next year!). Searching elsewhere...

Same lead times at Digikey.

CyberBob

Just sourced the components through eBay chinesium...$6.89/board without sockets, no lead time. Gonna go for it. * after placing order it shows about 30days lead. Still way sooner than from the local distribs.

Oops, NM tax, $7.41/board. Done.

CyberBob

Sockets and capacitors through Mouser adds $4.61/board. Done. So $12 plus your soldering labor and EPROM programming for a read-only 1M SSD for the Apple ][. Oops, NM tax again, now $4.95/board.

CyberBob

Cart says order review will be done in 10mins. Still waiting 2hrs later. I'm guessing PCBWay doesn't do order reviews on weekends.

CyberBob

DIP sockets and bypass capacitors came in yesterday. I actually have plenty of these in storage, but it was easier and cheaper to just buy new ones. The rest of the parts are on the slow boat, scheduled to arrive between now and Christmas.

CyberBob

The -801s, -374s, and -32s finally got shipped. Delivery date currently 21 Dec.

The -00s say they're in-country, but USPS doesn't know it yet. eBay says delivery on 21 Dec, and I have these in stock anyway. No shipping info on the -245s yet. I do have some of these in stock, but probably only enough for 3-4 cards.

PCBs delivered the day after I left for AK, so will get into those when I get back next week.

CyberBob

-245s have been shipped. Looks like they're the only ICs not on the slow boat. Currently scheduled to arrive between 18Oct-25Oct while the rest are scheduled between 25Oct-21Dec.

PCBs look good. They sent an extra, so 11 boards to assemble. Got 'em in blue, because blue is the best color. Things that are blue are better, faster, cooler, sexier. Fact.

Attachments

• 20221012_231506.jpg
    20221012_231506.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:

CyberBob

-00s arrived.

Still waiting on -245s and ZIF socket. Going to program one of the EPROMs and try it in my existing board.

Last edited:

CyberBob

So far 2 27C801 EPROMs failed to program (in different ways) in my chinesium XGecu TL866II Plus programmer. The EPROMs look like pulls, so they may be at fault. Gotta dig out my UV eraser before I try some more. Anyone have a known good programmer I can borrow?

CyberBob

Ah, did a blank check on the 3rd one, and it wasn't. 4th chip tested blank and just programmed without error. About to test EPROM on card in Apple ][e...

...Success!

I visually scanned the first 2 EPROMs and they appeared blank but apparently weren't. Must have had a few bits set deep in. The 3rd happened to have a couple of bits toggled in the first screen, so they were noticed right away.

Only 2 of the 10 chips were completely erased. They both programmed successfully, so no other programmer needed. My eraser is on Socorro, so will be a couple days before I can get it and finish these chips.

Just checked the eBay listing. They were listed a NEW. Liars.

Last edited:

CyberBob

That 3rd chip had a bit not erased 32k deep. No way to notice by just visually scanning through.

Attachments

• bit.jpg
    bit.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 45

CyberBob

After several sessions in the UV eraser, all EPROMs have been programmed with the default GitHub disk image. All parts have arrived except the -245s. Will begin assembling boards soon.

CyberBob

-245s just came in. Tested first completed board and it works. The rest of the boards are at Quelab and I'll populate and test those when I get there later tonight.

CyberBob

I don't know what happened between China shippers and the USPS in the last year. You used to get tracking info through the USPS starting from about when the package hit the port of entry, or at least when it cleared customs, right up to delivery. Now, I only get tracking info while enroute overseas, notification from the shipper when it arrives in country, then no further tracking info even after delivery.

CyberBob

One card out of ten failed to boot. Isolated fault to one of the TTL chips. Ran each through my programmer, which I didn't realize until now could also identify and test logic ICs, and discovered that one of the 74LS00s was actually a 74LS08. Seller missed that, and so did I. Pulled one from my '80-82 stock and all good now. So now one vintage 1982 chip amongst a pile of seventy 2021-22 chips.
7408.jpg
20221108_144128.jpg

CyberBob

Creating an image with Apple ][ utilities now with things like ADTPro, Copy][Plus, memory tests, etc.

Done.
20221108_172403.jpg
20221108_172419.jpg
20221108_172451.jpg

Last edited: