Ad here

1 1/2 miles w/ busted water pump?

chunk

Administrator
Staff member
My old work truck broke down tonight. The water pump plumb broke off. Never seen anything like it. It's about 1 1/2 mile from the house.

Any bets on whether after letting the engine cool, could you drive it the 1 1/2 mile without hurting the engine? Take your best guess.

OhioTC18

Super Moderator
On both my trucks I get about 2 miles before the temp gauge starts to raise. I would imagine that the thermostat has barely opened at that point. I think I would try it. Pull 'er over at halfway if the gauge rises too far too fast. Then walk home. :poke:
Come back later and drive it the rest of the way.

chunk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm considering that Jerry. It has an ole 350 in it that has done me really well. It has 198k on it. My son (who was driving it when it busted) is thinking about throwing a water pump on it where it sits (it's in a workable spot, but would be better at home where all the tools are).
I'll keep you posted.

chunk

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I do get lucky every once in awhile. :D
I got the truck home. Had to turn in around and then drive the mile and 1/2. I forgot the power steering was out because of the busted water pump. It was a bear to turn around in a semi tight spot, but I made it and got her home with temp getting up midway on the gauge (210). Now to get the new radiator and water pump for it and she'll be back in business.